King Charles II (1630-1685)
studio of Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680)
Oil painting on canvas, King Charles II (1630-1685), studio of Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680), late 17th century. A three-quarter-length portrait of the King, turned to the left glancing to the right, holding a baton in his left hand; wearing a breastplate, brown jerkin, lawn sleeves, right hand on hip, Exhibited at Burlington House, 1875, no. 201 (as Duke of Monmouth).
By descent to Rear Admiral Frederick William Fane Hervey, 4th Marquess of Bristol (1863-1951), on whose death valued for probate; accepted in lieu of tax by HM Treasury, and transferred to the National Trust in 1956
Ickworth, The Bristol Collection (acquired through the National Land Fund and transferred to The National Trust in 1956)
Makers and roles
studio of Sir Peter Lely (Soest 1618 – London 1680), artist
Farrer 1908 Edmund Farrer, Portraits in Suffolk Houses (West), 1908, no. 304