A pair of giltwood and marble console tables and pier mirrors, north Italian, Turin, circa 1755 The mirror inset with a painted panel of a landscape scene after Verner surmounted by female masks with scroll and rocaille carving incorporating wings and putti heads on C scroll cornucopia. Below the panel is a cartouche with further scroll carving and garlands of flowers across the mirror plate. The paneled frame with low relief gesso anthemion motifs and egg and dart moulding. The apron with conforming carving centered by a shell floral and scroll motif. The table with a shaped serpentine moulded edge above a scroll floral pierced cartouche and heavily carved cabriole legs headed by female masks and tied by a stretcher with a mail mask with rocaille head dress.
These tables and mirrors were almost certainly bought in Italy by the Earl Bishop when he was appointed British Minister in Turin (1755-8) The elegant and finely carved giltwood console tables and pier mirrors are consistent with other mid-18th Turinese pieces. The high-hipped legs carved with rocaille relates them to examples in the Palazzo Reale, Turin. There is a similar pair in the Ickworth collection NT850051 which also were almost certainly bought in Turin by the Earl Bishop. See Viale, Mostra del Palazzo Piemontese, Vol 3, pl.60, fig. b and pl.66, fig.b.) (James Weedon 2017)
Part of the Bristol Collection. The house and contents were acquired through the National Land Fund and transferred to the National Trust in 1956. It is most likely that these tables and mirrors were bought by the Earl Bishop in Turin circa 1755.
Viale, Mostra del Palazzo Piemontese, Vol 3, pl.60, fig. b and pl.66, fig.b