Oil painting on panel, Sir Henry Palmer (c.1550-1611), Comptroller of the Navy by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger ( Bruges 1561 – London 1635 ), dated 1586 above the coat of arms in the top left hand corner. Small plaque on a plain guilded frame / Sir Henry by Mark Gheeraets /. A half-length portrait of the Comptroler of the Navy between 1598 - 1611 in succession to Sir John Hawkyns.
Professor David Laing (1793–1878), Edinburgh; probably acquired by Arthur Radford of Bradninch Manor (d.1925) between 1890 and 1920; by descent to his son, Courtenay Arthur Ralegh Radford (d. 2000), of Culmcott House, Uffculme; loaned to Buckland Abbey whilst leased by the Plymouth City Museum; loan transferred to the National Trust on the expiry of the lease in 1988; bequeathed by Ralegh Radford in 2000
Marks and inscriptions
Recto: C. 1586 (top LH corner); in yellow, top left: 1586, over coat-of-arms: argent, a chevron between three burses sable, with a shield in pretence: sable, a bend or, [something pink top r.]
Makers and roles
manner of Marcus Geeraerts, the younger (Bruges 1561/2 - London 1635/6), artist