Architecture / Features & Decoration
Osterley Park and House, London (Accredited Museum)
Balustrade of the Grand Staircase. Balustrade from the ground floor to the second floor, including half landings and corridors. It supports the mahogany bannister CMS 773972. The wrought-iron balusters are painted blue and decorated with classical anthemions (based on honeysuckle). The balusters are identical to those Robert Adam designed for Kenwood House, which are known to date from 1769. In 1773-4 they were described as being painted 'fair blue'. A metal hook on an angle bracket, also painted blue, is attached to the balustrade on the flight of stairs between the first floor and the upper half-landing. The Grand Staircase is the principle staircase. On the ground floor it adjoins the former family entrance and secondary hall and rises to the principal (first) and second floors. The walls and ceiling were decorated in two stages, starting from about 1765 (there are no plans or designs for this stage) the columns on both floors, the friezes and stucco ornaments were part of this first stage.