Four white marble statues
Art / Sculpture
1 AD - 150 AD (Torso c. A.D. 1-150; restorations, c. 1750-80) - 1750 - 1780 (Torso c. A.D. 1-150; restorations, c. 1750-80)
1540 x 640 x 390 mmOrder this image
Osterley Park and House, London (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Four white marble statues: Apollo, Minerva, Ceres and Hercules. Part antique, with some eighteenth century restorations.
Purchased to be placed in niches in the Marble Hall, designed by Robert Adam (1728-1792) in the 1760s. First recorded in the Hall at Osterley Park in the 1782 inventory; remained in situ ever since. Purchased from George Child-Villiers, 9th Earl of Jersey (1910-1998) by HM Government in 1949 for the Nation and vested in the Victoria and Albert Museum; transferred to the National Trust in 2002.
National Trust Collections (Osterley Park, The Jersey Collection)
Tomlin, 1986: Maurice Tomlin. “The 1782 inventory of Osterley Park.” Furniture History 22 (1986): pp.107-134., p.122