Abraham and Jacob Kirckman
Musical instruments, devices and recordings
Brass, Ebony, Ivory, Mahogany, Steel
938 x 945 x 2395 mm
Place of origin
LondonOrder this image
Osterley Park and House, London (Accredited Museum)
The harpsichord was a popular keyboard instrument from the 15th to the 18th century when it was replaced in popularity by the piano. The harpsichord was at its peak in the 18th century and English instruments like this mark the height in its design.
A double manual harpsichord. The casework of oak veneered and cross banded in mahogany with chevron stringer, top of lid and front of foreboard en-suite. The keywell applied with a lavish marquetry, the keyblocks, keyslip, middle rail and homeboard being veneered in walnut and inlaid with traced patterns of seaweed and flowers in sand shaded green and rose stained sycamore and fruitwood. In the centre of the fascia is a trophy of musical instuments and manuscript pages within a scalloped shell flanked by two winged figures with trumpets to their lips. Fully adjustable music desk with sliding candle shelves either side.
Osterley Park Heirloom. Acquired by Robert Child. The instrument was probably restrung in the 1930s by a restorer so far unidentified. The Harpsichord was removed from Osterley in 1949 but was part of the Jersey bequest March 1993
Marks and inscriptions
Inlaid above the upper manual 'Jacobus et Abraham Kirckman, Londini Fecerunt 1781'
Makers and roles
Abraham and Jacob Kirckman, maker