The Memorial Garden, Cliveden
Leonard Richmond (fl.1912-1940)
Oil painting on canvas, Memorial Garden, Cliveden, by Leonard Richmond (fl.1912-1940), signed bottom left: L. Richmond. This sunken garden – situated to the south-west of the house – was first conceived as an Italianate garden by William Waldorf, 1st Viscount Astor, in 1902, and was decorated with elements of his Roman statuary collection. The garden was adapted, between 1917 and 1918, as a cemetery for those who had died in the Canadian Red Cross Hospital on the estate. Richmond’s painting clearly shows the 42 inscribed stones marking the graves, which replaced the mosaic floor set down by Lord Astor, and to the right is depicted the bronze personification of Canada by Sir Bertram MacKennal, RA. Rendered in bold heavy strokes in mauve, green, brown and yellow. Seen with McKinnel bronze to right, well head at centre. Trees mount slope behind.
Presented to the National Trust, with the house and grounds, by Waldorf, 2nd Viscount Astor (1879-1952) in 1942
Cliveden, The Astor Collection (National Trust)
Makers and roles
Leonard Richmond (fl.1912-1940), artist