Spirit of Liberty
after Augustin-Alexandre Dumont
Art / Sculpture
1958 - 1959
2180 x 980 x 2150 mm
Cliveden Estate, Buckinghamshire
A bronze sculpture of liberty holding a torch by Dumont, who was a famous French sculptor in the nineteenth century. The sculpture originally stood on top of the clock tower at Cliveden.
Bronze sculpture, Liberty. Bronze statue of Liberty, winged and holding torch aloft.
Bronze sculpture, Liberty. Bronze statue of Liberty, winged and holding torch aloft. This is a gilt bronze figure is a copy of an original sculpture of 1833 by Auguste Dumont. The original, Le Génie de la Liberté, is located on top of the July Column in the Place de la Bastille in Paris. The Duke and Duchess of Sutherland commissioned a copy of Dumont’s sculpture and this was installed at Cliveden. This copy was destroyed in a storm in the mid-20th century. It was replaced by this inferior figure which was removed from the Clock Tower in the 1980s. The current figure is a modern (2011) cast derived from a copy of the Spirit of Liberty in the Louvre Museum, Paris.
Makers and roles
after Augustin-Alexandre Dumont , maker
Philip Ward-Jackson, 'A.-E. Carrier-Belleuse, J.-J. Feuchère and the Sutherlands’ in The Burlington Magazine, Vol. 127, No. 984 (March 1985), pp. 146-153.