Sarah Tully, Lady Hoare (1708/9-1736)
attributed to Charles Philips (London 1708 – London 1747)
Oil painting on canvas, Sarah Tully, Mrs Hoare (1708/9 - 1736), attributed to Charles Phillips (London 1708 – London 1747), circa 1730-1736. A circular framed painting showing the wife of Sir Richard II Hoare, Kt (1709 - 1754) and mother of Sir Richard Hoare ist Bt (1735 - 1787) sitting in a chair in a landscape. She is dressed as a shepherdess, a book in her right hand, wearing a white dress and cap and gold bodice and is looking into the distance towards the left. Behind her on the left a couple of sheep graze.
Given to the National Trust along with the house, its grounds, and the rest of contents by Sir Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare, 6th Bt (1865 – 1947) in 1946.
Stourhead, The Hoare Collection (National Trust)
Marks and inscriptions
Verso: Inscribed in ink in old hand on back of frame: Miss Tully Verso: Inscribed in blue crayon circular stretcher: l h of door / Corridor Verso: Inscribed in black paint on backs of stretcher, spandrels and frame: 68 Verso: Label: printed, of: CHAPMAN Bros., 241 King's Road., Chelsea. Picture Restorers, Carriers, Gilders etc. and in ink: Sir H.Hoare NO.3998
Makers and roles
attributed to Charles Philips (London 1708 – London 1747), artist previously catalogued as attributed to William Hogarth (London 1697 - London 1764), artist
Stourhead 1898 Alda, Lady Hoare, Catalogue of Principal Paintings & Drawings at Stourhead July 6th 1898 (Ms.typescript), 1898 , p.7