possibly Thomas Chippendale II (1749 -1822)
One of a set of four painted and parcel gilt beech open armchairs, possibly Thomas Chippendale the Younger (1749-1822) London, circa 1800. Upholstered in a later red silk striped upholstery, the painted decoration refreshed. The square padded back with moulded frame and flower head paterae to the corners, scroll and leaf carved arms with elbow pads and down swept supports with Greek scroll lower terminals. The over stuffed seat raised on square section tapered legs and brass socket castors. There is no known account at Stourhead from the Chippendale workshops for these chairs but the construction techniques and the detailing to the carving is certainly very similar.
Possibly made and supplied to Stourhead by the Chippendale workshops, London circa 1800. Given to the National Trust along with Stourhead House, its grounds, and the rest of the contents by Sir Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare, 6th Bt (1865 – 1947) in 1946. .
Makers and roles
possibly Thomas Chippendale II (1749 -1822), furniture designer and maker