A pair of large baskets with stands, cream coloured earthenware with blue enamel overglaze decoration, Wedgwood, Staffordshire, circa 1790. With monogram 'RH' and raised hand in an escutcheon, probably for Sir Richard Colt Hoare, 2nd Baronet (1758-1838). Impressed 'Wedgwood', 'P' (baskets) and 'B' (stands), with blue enamel dot to base. Listed as an 'Oval wicker strawberry basket and stand' in Wedgwood's 1817 catalogue.
Listed in the 1908 Stourhead Inventory as 'One pair of 12 in. Wedgwood Fruit baskets and trays "R.C.H." Bequeathed to the National Trust along with Stourhead House, its grounds, and the rest of the contents by Sir Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare, 6th Bt (1865 – 1947) in 1946.
Marks and inscriptions
'P' impressed on basket, 'B' impressed on stand
Makers and roles
Wedgwood , pottery manufacturer