One of the Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido Road - The Reisho Series
Andō Hiroshige (Tokyo 1797 - Tokyo 1858)
Print, woodcut, One of the Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido Road - The Reisho Series.by Andō Hiroshige (Tokyo 1797 - Tokyo 1858). Two Japanese landscapes. Coloured woodcuts. Plain wooden frame mouldings, glazed. Cream mounts foxed. Japanese characters. Part of the series of prints '53 Stations of the Tokaido Road', 'Reisho Series'. The Tōkaidō - literally, the 'Eastern Sea Road') was the main road of feudal Japan. It ran for roughly five hundred kilometers between the old imperial capital, Kyōto, where the Emperor still lived, and the effective capital, Edo (now known as Tokyo), where the Shōgun lived.
The property was given to the Trust as part of the Plas yn Rhiw estate between 1950 and 1966 by the Misses Eileen, Lorna and Honora Keating in memory of their parents, John William and Constance Annie Keating.
Makers and roles
Andō Hiroshige (Tokyo 1797 - Tokyo 1858) , artist