Oil painting on board, Woollen Mills at Millbeck by Sir Joseph Flintoft (1796 - 1860), signed and dated on reverse: Jos (superscript) h Flintoft/ Lyzzick Hall July 1831. Millbeck, by the slopes of Skiddaw, is a small hamlet just north of the town of Keswick, Derwentwater and Lake Bassenthwaite. The wool drying barn and Georgian house, formerly the mill owner’s home, are part of the hamlet’s history. In the mid part of the 19th-century the old home was taken over by the naturalist and cartographer Joseph Flintoft (1796-1860). He created models of the Lake District, one of which is in Keswick Museum and another in the Lyzzick Hall itself (now a hotel). It has also been suggested that the view is of the old mill buildings at a place known as 'Low Briery', near Keswick as the buildings are still quite recognisable with the fells of 'Latrigg' and 'Blencathra' in the background and the site is now a self-catering holiday park of the same name.
Gift of Brigadier J.W. Kaye of Millbeck Towers, 1985
Marks and inscriptions
Verso: Label on reverse of backboard signed by J. W. Kaye, December 1953
Verso: J. Bershas, 1998 (Label)
Makers and roles
Sir Joseph Flintoft (1796 - 1860), artist
previously catalogued as attributed to Josiah Flintoff, artist