93 x 45 x 35 cm
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Berrington Hall, Herefordshire (Accredited Museum)
A mahogany open armchair, English, circa 1780. The pierced heart-shaped back carved with drapery and centred with the Prince of Wales feathers motif, the curved arms raised on inswept reeded supports topped with a rosette detail, the padded seat covered in gold striped fabric and standing on reeded tapering legs headed with paterae and terminating in spade feet.
The drapery and feathers design was one of the most distinctive and elegant chair designs produced by the Lancaster firm of Gillow, who had a shop in London and were one of the leading cabinet makers in Britain. See Susan Stuart 'Gillows of Lancaster and London 1730-1840', Vol II, ACC 2008, p.160.
Gifted to the National Trust by R.S.Watney. Originally at Hanbury Hall than transferred to Berrington Hall.
Stuart, Susan 'Gillows of Lancaster and London 1730 - 1840' (2008) 2 vols., p.160, plate 112-113