Two magenta silk banner fire screens, reversable, painted with coat of arms. Hand sewn and painted back and front, edged on three sides with purple and yellow fringe. Tying ribbons. Painted silk; silk dyed 'magenta' deep pink, unbalanced plain weave, painted with oil based pigments including metallic gold colours white. Blue. Black, scarlet. Brown. Coat of arms (?) included within medallion at top boar passant and 2 double headed eagles with the latin work 'Acon' within shield. a) yellow and purple cut silk fringe/braid 30 mm b) magenta silk ribbons 30 mm c) ivory silk ribbon 30 mm. Painted back and front. Originally may have been used as trumpet banners. 19th century, possibly made in Italy.
Attingham collection; bequeathed to the National Trust with the estate, house and contents of Attingham by Thomas Henry Noel-Hill, 8th Baron Berwick (1877-1947) on 15th May 1953.
Marks and inscriptions
Crimson silk fire screens painted coat of arms (written on brown paper wrapping by Lady Berwick)