Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Co. (Morris & Co.) (1861-1940)
An oak 'refectory' type table, London, circa 1859-1866, almost certainly designed by Philip Speakman Webb (1831-1915) and probably made under the aegis of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Co, the rectangular top supported on eight round legs with line-incised and shaped square-section feet, joined by thick chamfered stretchers. The table is stylistically similar and of contemporary date to the original pair of tables (location unknown) which are known to have been designed by Philip Webb for Red House. Surviving examples of Philip Webb designed tables are rare.
Acquired in Ireland by Paul Reeves Ltd. Purchased by the National Trust in September 2007, with a contribution of £50,000 from The Art Fund, including a contribution from the Wolfson Foundation, additional support from an anonymous donor, the J. Paul Getty Jr Charitable Trust and other donations to the National Trust.
Makers and roles
Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Co. (Morris & Co.) (1861-1940), makers Philip Speakman Webb (Oxford 1831 - West Sussex 1915), designer