Oak dining table with eight square legs and square stretchers, the top in two equal sections, loose mitred central joint still showing rectangular central insert that is now an integral part of the two sections of the board. Frame in two sections, joined by removable wooden pegs in tenon joints in top rails. Removable central bottom rail with 'dummy' matching wooden pegs.
See Lucy Wood, The Upholstered Furniture in the Lady lever Art Gallery, vol 2, Appendix 2, pp1073-4. This oak table probably originated at Barrington Hall, Essex, perhaps made 1730-40 in an antiquarian manner. Sold as "elm" from Bradfield Hall, near Reading, July 1898, lot 655. (added by Roger Carr-Whitworth April 2012) 1938 Memo, original at Treasurers House, copy in Curatorial Archive Box Inventories Gardens " The long oak table in the Hall was bought by Mr Green through D.L. Isaacs from Bradfield Hall in Wiltshire..."