The Hammond House
The Hammond House, a late Victorian doll's house, circa 1890, with paper and painted exterior, of 39 (thirty nine) fully furnished rooms on three floors, three connecting corridors (which run the full length of the house) and three staircases. Comprises about 1,500 pieces of furniture and seventy seven china-faced dolls ranging from a master and mistress, a large family to a full staff of servants. The dolls are all original to the house and most of them were in good condition when they were acquired. Only a few had to be redressed with spare clothing that came with the collection. The furniture is original and much of it is of the Duncan Phyfe type made at Walterhausen in Germany. Some of the other furniture is from Diessen and there are also examples of French furniture. The wallpapers are original and in some cases hand painted as are the floor coverings. There are lace curtains at each window. It is papered on the outside in red brick paper and the wood is painted in off white. There are five chimney stacks. The furniture is not individually numbered. The items in the house are original. There was a lift and running water in the bathroom and scullery. The water being piped down from a tank on the roof. The rooms are lit by electric light, which has been re-wired by a Newcastle firm of electricians. The name Hammond comes from the fact that 'Ruby Hammond' appears on a tiny towel and in a minature copybook. There have been suggestions that there may be a link with the Hammond department store in Hull, but no link has been established despite enquiries.