Art / Sculpture
1700 - 1799
Ivory in gold frame
93 x 58 mmOrder this image
The Argory, County Armagh (Accredited Museum)
Ivory in gold frame, Apollo Belvedere. This figure is after the antique marble sculpture from an early Roman Hadrianic period copy of 120 AD of a bronze original by Leochares, 350-320 BC, regarded as the model of masculine grace in the 18th-century, excavated in Rome in the 15th century and first recorded in the garden of Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere, who, as Pope Julius II, had transferred it to the Vatican by 1509, and by 1511 to the Belvedere there, whence its name. With one interruption, when it was seized by French, from 1797 to 1815, it has been in the Belvedere courtyard of the Vatican museum ever since.
Haskell and Penny 1981: Francis Haskell and Nicholas Penny, Taste and the Antique, The Lure of Classical Sculpture 1500 - 1900, New Haven and London, 1981, 8, fig. 77