Joshua McGeough of Drumsill (1747–1817)
Samuel Percy (Dublin 1750 - London 1820)
Art / Sculpture
1811 (signed and dated)
Polychrome wax and silk on wood
273 x 241 mm
Place of origin
Great BritainOrder this image
The Argory, County Armagh (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Polychrome wax and silk on wood, Joshua McGeough of Drumsill (1747–1817) by Samuel Percy (Dublin 1750 - London 1820), signed and dated on reverse: S. Percy 1811 and inscribed: To see these Portraits to advantage, Hold the Top of the Frame parallel to the window, that all the features may catch equal Light and Shadow. A half-length portrait. Samuel Percy was an Irish wax-modeller and sculptor, active in England. He trained at the Dublin Society's Schools and first exhibited at the Society in 1772 with a relief of Abraham offering Isaac. In about 1777 he went to London and soon established a thriving practice as a portraitist in wax, modelling in profile until 1790 when he added full-face portraits in high relief.
Drumsill House (In an inventory taken on February 23rd to 24th 1894, listed as being in the Library was the following item: ‘Wax Picture in Gilt Frame (Joshua McGeough) £20.0.0’.); transferred to The Argory in 1916 when Drumsill House was sold by the family and the contents moved to The Argory; given with The Argory by Walter Albert Nevill (Tommy) MacGeough Bond (1908 - 1986).
National Trust Collections (The Argory, The MacGeough Bond Collection)
Marks and inscriptions
Reverse: To see these Portraits to advantage, / Hold the Top of the Frame parallel to / the window, that all the features may / catch equal Light and Shadow. S Percy 1811
Makers and roles
Samuel Percy (Dublin 1750 - London 1820), artist
Moore 2015 Anna Moore, 'Discovering a Samuel Percy wax portrait in Northern Ireland' in Understanding British Portraits, 3 March 2015, Typically the text reads: ‘To see these Portraits to advantage, Hold the Top of the Frame parallel to the window, that all the features may catch equal Light and Shadow.’ The Argory wax is signed and dated ‘S. Percy 1811’.