A field canteen used by General James Wolfe to be served and eat his meals. The canteen contains a Wedgwood meat dish, three Wedgwood plates and a metal tin.
General Wolfe's 18th Century mahogany field canteen. Given by Colonel the Viscount Galway, C.B. Inside, Ivory Wedgwood meatdish and three Ivory Wedgwood plates and metal canister.
Wolfe left the canteen to his second in command Robert Monckton. It was passed down through Monckton's decendants, until the 7th Lord Galway gave it to the United Services Institution in 1906, who in turn passed it to the National Trust.
Marks and inscriptions
2648 Major General James Wolfe's Field Canteen Canada 1759. Given to this museum by Col. Viscount Galway. C.B. A.D.C. 1906