1800 - 1825
Metal and glass clock.
555 x 405 x 180 mmOrder this image
Anglesey Abbey, Cambridgeshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Skeleton clock, enamelled chapter ring support in ormolu, cast and chased as winged semi-nude female figure flanked by foliated arabesque framework resting on backs of 2 lions couchant, rhomboid-shaped base, glass case. 8-day French 'Directoire' striking skeleton clock of ormolu on glass plate, c.1800. 2 train, 3 pillar movement with dead beat pin-wheel escapement. Pendulum with steel rod and steel knife-edge suspension. Count wheel striking on bell, the striking train being wound through a barrel attached to the locking plate and first wheel, driven in turn by the second wheel of the going train. White enamel chapter ring with Arabic numerals and quarters. Blued steel Breguet hands. Crystal plate forming the main structure of the clock, with ormolu foliate acanthus leaf surround. Ormolu winged female figure on front, removable for access to winding square. The whole standing on two ormolu lions passant on an ormolu base. The whole covered with a glazed shade on a gilt wood base. The bell is a later replacement.
Bequeathed to the National Trust by Huttleston Rogers Broughton, 1st Lord Fairhaven (1896-1966) with the house and the rest of the contents.