Oil painting on canvas, A Capriccio of Roman Ruins with Rustic Figures, British (English) School, early - mid 18th century. A capriccio landscape of Roman ruins, in a landscape with vaguely Italianate buildings behind. The ruins include those of the Colosseum (with an obelisk poking up from it) and of the Temple of Jupiter Stator on the right, and an invented [?] ruin and an urn on the left. In the centre, a man dressed in red on a horse gestures towards a man indicating the way to him, seated beside a woman, at the left. A market woman with a basket sits beside the ruins of the temple on the right. Between her and the horseman are three cows and two sheep, which are in the care of a shepherd leaning on his staff in the middle distance. Pair to NT 500453.
Probably painted as an overdoor for one of the rooms thrown together by Lewis Wyatt to make the Library, and kept on in the latter; 1879 inventory, p.27: ‘“Colloseum” + do gilt frames'; 1929 inventory, p.17: Library, ‘3 oil studies various.’; by inheritance and descent to Richard, 5th Lord Newton (b.1950), and his brother, the Hon. David Legh (b.1951); accepted by HM Government in lieu of inheritance tax and allocated to the National Trust, 2011.
Lyme Park, The Legh Collection (accepted by HM Government in lieu of inheritance tax and allocated to the National Trust, 2011)
Marks and inscriptions
Verso: in large black, on back of canvas: No 27
Makers and roles
British (English) School, artist