Part of a red sandstone Roman altar with an inscription.
Found in 1866 built into Cockermouth Castle, the Cumberland estate of the Egremont family, and presumably taken from the Roman fort at Papcastle, one mile to the north-west. Thence by descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72) arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M.Treasury.
Marks and inscriptions
....()eg(at) Aug(usti) in c(u)neum Frision/um Aballau/ensium Philip/p(ianorum) (ante diem) XIIII Kal(endas() et (ante diem) XIII (Kal(endas) / Nou(embres) Gor(diano) II et Pompei(ano) / co(n)s(ulibus) et Attico et Pre(te)xtato co(n)s(ulibus) u(otum) s(oluit) l(ibens) m(erito) Translation- '... transferred by (?) the Emperor's legate to the formation of the Frisians of Aballava, styled Philippian, on October 19th and 20th in the consulships of Gordian for the second time and Pompeianus and of Atticus and Pretextatus, willingly and deservedly fulfilled the vow.'