Hera (or Juno)
Parian marble with crystals, Hera, Roman (after a Greek or late Hellenistic original of 5th century BC), probably second century BC. A statue of the goddess Hera (Juno in Latin) who was the sister and wife of Zeus (Jupiter) and was worshipped as the protectress of women. She is represented as a matronly figure standing with upraised right arm,
This was probably the 'Juno' imported in 1763. By descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72), arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M. Treasury.
Marks and inscriptions
4 (painted on front of base)
Makers and roles
Wyndham 1915 Margaret Wyndham, Catalogue of the Collection of Greek and Roman Antiquities in the Possession of Lord Leconfield, The Medici Society, 1915, p. 6