Roman, 2nd Century AD
Art / Sculpture
1 AD - 1763
Pentelic marble sculptire patinated with chlorine
1900 mm (Height); 1680 mm (Height)
Place of origin
RomeOrder this image
Petworth House and Park, West Sussex (Accredited Museum)
Pentelic marble sculpture patinated with chlorine, Ganymede, Roman, 2nd century AD, restored in Rome, published and engraved in his 'Raccolta' by Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (1716 - 1799), where he notes that the head is his own work and imported in 1763. A marble statue of a youthful Ganymede, a chlamys surrounding his shoulders fastened on the right side with a brooch whilst an eagle stands on the ground by his side raising its head to look at the youth. Ganymede, a shepherd, was the beautiful son of Tros, the legendary King of Troy. According to Ovid, the amorous Jupiter, having transformed himself into an eagle, carried off the youth to be his cup-bearer on Olympus.
Purchased by Charles Wyndham, 2nd Earl of Egremont. Imported in 1763. By descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72), arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M. Treasury.
Marks and inscriptions
1 (painted on front of base)
Makers and roles
Roman, 2nd Century AD , sculptor Bartolomeo Cavaceppi (Rome 1716 - Rome 1799), sculptor