Alicia Maria Carpenter, Countess of Egremont, later Countess Brühl (1729 – 1794)
William Hoare of Bath, RA (Eye 1707 – Bath 1792)
Art / Oil paintings
1762 - 1763 (bill payment)
Oil on canvas
1245 x 1015 mm
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Petworth House and Park, West Sussex (Accredited Museum)
On show at
Lady Egremont was known for her beauty and the sweetness of her disposition; apparently she always wore a pearl necklace to hide a small mole on her neck. She was the daughter of George, 2nd Lord Carpenter and sister of George, 1st Earl Tyrconnel. Her first husband, whom she married in 1750, was Charles Wyndham, 2nd Earl of Egremont (1710-1763). She married as her second husband, in 1767, Count Moritz Hans Brühl (1737-1809), the Saxon ambassador. In 1761 she was appointed Lady of the Bedchamber to the new Queen Charlotte. This portrait is evidently not intended as a pair to the portrait of her husband, the 2nd Earl, although the portraits were paid for together on 27th September 1763 (the sum came to £31.10s). The Countess herself painted a portrait of her husband, which is now in the Egremont Private Collection.
Oil painting on canvas, Alicia Maria Carpenter, Countess of Egremont, later Countess Brühl (1729 – 1794) by William Hoare of Bath, RA (Eye 1707 – Bath 1792), 1762. A three-quarter-length portrait, shown with her face three-quarters left, her left hand resting on a bank and wearing a white silk dress with a pale rose scarf against a landscape background and with a monument in the left distance.
Painted for the 2nd Earl of Egremont (1710-1763) in 1762. Thence by descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72) arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M.Treasury.
Petworth House, The Egremont Collection (acquired in lieu of tax by HM Treasury in 1956 and subsequently transferred to the National Trust)
Marks and inscriptions
Alicia Maria Carpenter (inscribed bottom right)
Makers and roles
William Hoare of Bath, RA (Eye 1707 – Bath 1792), artist