Carved and gilded pine and limewood, Breccia marble top
80 x 124 x 68 cmOrder this image
Petworth House and Park, West Sussex (Accredited Museum)
A giltwood pier-table or console, English rococo circa 1755, the Breccia marble top a frieze centred by a pierced acanthus leaf in a shell-shaped cartouche issuing foliate scrolls, the cabriole legs headed by similar cartouches and terminated by scrolling feet.
By descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72) arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M.Treasury.