Leather on a pine carcase, fixed with brass studs, engraved brass straps and lock-plate
70 x 128 x 69 cm
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Petworth House and Park, West Sussex (Accredited Museum)
On show at
A leather covered travelling trunk, English circa 1700, studded with brass nails, opening with a slightly domed hinged top, mounted with carrying handles, an engraved lock-plate and hinges headed by a crown. The decorative studs create a pattern of flowers, scrolls and foliage. This type of trunks were made both for members of the Royal Family, and for courtiers and those holding offices of state in the 17th and 18th centuries. Three similar leather trunks can be seen at Hardwick Hall (NT 1127784, NT 1127726 and NT 1127788).
By descent, until the death in 1952 of the 3rd Lord Leconfield, who had given Petworth to the National Trust in 1947, and whose nephew and heir, John Wyndham, 6th Lord Leconfield and 1st Lord Egremont (1920-72) arranged for the acceptance of the major portion of the collections at Petworth in lieu of death duties (the first ever such arrangement) in 1956 by H.M.Treasury.