Architecture / Features & Decoration
Glue-size distemper applied directly onto the lime-rich plaster over wattle and daub
2.4 m (Height)
Moseley Old Hall, Staffordshire (Accredited Museum)
Wallpainting in Chapel: The chapel is on the top (second) floor of the property. Its walls are decorated with a grisaille paint scheme of fictive panelling. The ‘panels’ are drawn in black, dark grey and white lines over a light grey background. This seventeenth-century decoration was revealed from under layers of limewash and emulsion on the north and east walls during a conservation work carried out by the Perry Lithgow Partnership in 1984. The painted decoration on the south wall and the west walls was entirely recreated by Tom Helme shortly after the 1984 uncovering and conservation treatment. The barrel-vaulted ceiling and the blue and gold star decoration over the altar date from 1791. The blue colour over the rest of the ceiling dates to 1984.