Saint George and the Dragon

circle of Michael Pacher (Bruneck c.1435 – Salzburg 1498)
National Trust Inventory Number 446802

Category Paintings
Date 1470 - 1499
Materials Oil on panel (softwood)
Measurements 540 x 400 mm (21 1/4 x 15 3/4 in)
Place of origin
Collection Upton House, Warwickshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at Upton House, Midlands, National Trust

This picture is painted on a very thin panel, which suggests that at some point, it was divided. This supports the suggestion that it formed the shutter of an altarpiece, with another painting on the reverse.

Pacher was an Austrian Tyrolean painter and sculptor, whose best-known work is the altarpiece at the church in the village of St. Wolfgang, in Austria. He was inspired by Northern Italian artists, such as Mantegna. If this panel is not by Pacher himself, it must be by an able follower.

Summary description

Oil painting on softwood panel with canvas backing, Saint George and the Dragon, attrributed to the circle of Michael Pacher (c.1435-1498). The present panel, which has been built up at the back, is only 4 mm thick, including gesso layer. This suggests that at some period it has been divided, and supports the hypothesis that the St George formed the shutter of an altarpiece with another painting on the reverse. St. George stands half length, looking down at the exiguous dragon into which he thrusts his sword; he wears armour and a green cloak thrown over his shoulders; an ornamental band encircles his forehead, from which his hair falls to his shoulders; in his mailed left hand he grasps a staff or lance, while his right is raised, gripping the sword; gold background.

Provenance

Andreas Colli, Innsbruck (according to Upton catalogue). [It is not clear from Speelman's correspondence with Lord Bearsted and Baldass, whether he had acquired the painting from Colli, or whether the idea only arose later, because of the provenance of the St. Barbara]. In 1937 it appears to have been with an English dealer' [= Speelman, by whom it had originally been left on approval at the National Gallery] (catalogue of Gotik in Tirol exhibition, Innsbruck, 1950: cf. entry No. 96). It was acquired by Lord Bearsted in August, 1937, for 800, via Edward Speelman; given with Upton House to the National Trust by Walter Samuel, 2nd Viscount Bearsted (1882 – 1948) shortly before his death in 1948

Makers and roles

circle of Michael Pacher (Bruneck c.1435 – Salzburg 1498), artist
previously attributed to Michael Pacher (Bruneck c.1435 – Salzburg 1498), artist

Related items

Place of origin
Materials Canvas (9982)
Oil paint (8234)
Softwood (362)
Category Paintings (12561)
Collection Upton House, Warwickshire (Accredited Museum) (2593)
Periods Pre- 1500 (744)
Maker Michael Pacher (Bruneck c.1435 – Salzburg 1498) (1)
Subjects
Object Type Oil painting (10780)

© National Trust Images © National Trust Collections Registered Charity No. 205846

Welcome to National Trust Collections. Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website. If you are planning a visit to see particular items in a National Trust Collection, please check information with the relevant Property first.