John Nethercott and Co.
2010 - 2011
1210 x 725 x 440 mm
Place of origin
PresteigneOrder this image
Tudor Merchants House, Pembrokeshire (Accredited Museum)
Chair. One of two great chairs made of oak. This is the larger chair or 'gentleman's chair'. The back and outer sides are carved with an early form of 'linenfold'. The back has two pinnacles to the back posts. Unpainted oak, the timber burnished with a hard-wax finish. The two oak chairs are intended to represent those used at the high table by the master and mistress of the house. They are based on one of the very few surviving late medieval great chairs which is of possibly English (as opposed to Flemish) origin. The original is in the Burrell Collection, Glasgow. The gentleman's chair is closest to the original in form, but slightly larger.
This piece was made by John Nethercott and Co, Discoed, Powys in 2010-2011. The furniture and fittings were commissioned especially for the Tudor Merchant’s House by Dr Charles Kightly.
Makers and roles
John Nethercott and Co., furniture maker