The Mystic Marriage of Saint Catherine
||1700 - 1899
||Oil on canvas
|Place of origin
||Belton House, Lincolnshire (Accredited Museum)
|Not on show
The original painting, on panel, but of roughly the same size (28.5 x 23.5 cm.), is in the Museo di Capodimonte, Naples. It is recorded in the Farnese Collection from 1657 onwards, and has been in Naples since 1734. A much finer copy, with lifesize figures, is one of two copies of Old Master paintings done by Cavallucci, at Stourhead. The picture was extensively copied, and the present painting is clearly at one remove from it: either a copy of a copy, or a copy of the etching of 1620 by G.B.Mercati.
St Catherine is reputed to have taken a vow of perpetual virginity, after a vision in which the Christ Child bethrothed her to himself with a ring.
Oil painting on canvas, The Mystic Marriage of Saint Catherine, after Correggio (Correggio c.1489 – Correggio 1534). The picture shows three figures, the Virgin on the left, on her lap in the centre the Christ Child and Catherine of Alezandria on the right, the Christ Child is placing a ring on the right hand of St Catherine against a landscape in the background. St Catherine is reputed to have taken a vow of perpetual virginity after a vision in which the Christ Child betrothed her to himself with a ring. This is one of many copies of the original picture in the Galleria Nazionale di Capodimonte, Naples.
Makers and roles
after Correggio (Correggio c.1489 – Correggio 1534), artist