120 mm (Length); 20 mm (Diameter)
Tyntesfield, North Somerset
On show at
A turned piece of hardwood, reduced in diameter and taper turned at one end, reduced in diameter and externally threaded at the other, part of a miscellaneous collection of six wooden test pieces / failures. Associated with Holtzapffel lathe (NT39554).
Purchased from John Edwards in 2017, and brought back to Tyntesfield thanks to a generous anonymous donation. Antony Gibbs (1841-1907) purchased this lathe, grinding machine and the accompanying suite of accessories from Holtzapffel & Co in 1872. It was sold originally in 1852 to Count Dunin for £137.16.0. It was later returned to Holtzapffel & CO., refurbished and sold to Sir A Sterling in 1861. It was again returned to Holtzapffel, completely refurbished and resold in 1872 to Antony Gibbs Esq of Tyntesfield, Bristol for the sum of £220. On Antony’s death the lathe passed to his son Antony Hubert Gibbs of Clyst St George. In 1953 it was sold at an auction of the Gibbs estate and subsequently ended up in Scotland where it languished for the next 60 years, until it was acquired by John Edwards, an ornamental turner, who cleaned and overhauled it.