Chimneypiece, Brown Drawing Room, Blickling Hall
Architecture / Features & Decoration
1400 - 1770
2210 x 2880 mmsOrder this image
Blickling Hall, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
On show at
stone, Chimneypiece, Brown Drawing Room, Blickling Hall. Chimneypiece. Carved stone chimneypiece with white-painted wooden surround. Carved spandrels with angels, c.1400, previously in the Organ Room now known as Lord Lothian's Study, are thought to have come from Sir John Fastolfe's Caister Castle via the Oxnead sale of 1732. Sir John owned Blickling in the 15th-century. Trophied side pieces and inner surround date from the early 1770's when the ensemble formed part of the organ room on the north front. It was moved to the Brown Drawing Room in 1858. Fastolfe motto crowns the composition with the Buckinghamshire arms beneath. Inner border has lion mask and two carved flowers with egg and dart. White-painted wooden surround.