A Copy of the East Window in Loddon Church with the Kneeling Figures of Sir James Hobart, PC, MP, JP (1436-1507), and his Third Wife, Margaret Naunton, Lady Hobart (d.1494), the Widow of John Dorward
||1600 - 1799
||Oil on canvas
||864 x 1079 mm (34 x 42 1/2 in)
|Place of origin
The church window that this picture records no longer exists, but it is recorded by a painting in the South aisle of the church, similar to this one at Blickling. It shows the Tudor and the Hobart arms underneath the Royal Crown, and in the background left and right, views of Lodden Church and Olave’s bridge. The inscription records that Sir James Hobart built the Church of the Holy Trinity at Loddon, and his wife, Margaret Naunton, built the causeway and bridge over the Waveny at St. Olave’s, just over the Norfolk border, by Herringfleet, Suffolk.
In the church are sixteenth and seventeenth century tombs of the Hobarts, who lived at Hales. However, Sir James was buried in a chapel in the nave of Norwich cathedral, but sadly neither the chapel, nor tomb survive.
Oil painting on canvas, A Copy of the East Window in Loddon Church with the Kneeling Figures of Sir James Hobart, PC, MP, JP (1436-1507), and his Wife, Margaret Naunton, Lady Hobart (d.1494), the Widow of John Dorward, British (English) School, 17th or 18th century. Sir James and his wife kneeling before two open bibles. Coat-of-arms in background between two vignettes. Top left vignette of 'Loddon Church'. Top right vignette of 'Saynt Oylifs Bridge'. Inscription around coat-of-arms 'This picture was taken out of the est window of the chancel of Lodde Church in Norfolk under the Crucifix ther'. Latin inscription on ribbons. Latin inscription at bottom of painting '... Jacobi Hobart militis ac Attornati Regis', 'Anno Regis Henrici Septimi Undecimo'. A copy of a window at Loddon Church, which commemorates its rebuilding by Sir James. It is shown in the background, together with St Olave's Bridge, which was built by his wife.
Makers and roles
British (English) School, artist