A walnut olivewood and marquetry inlaid chest on stand, English, circa 1690. The rectangular top with moulded edge inlaid with a central oval panel depicting a vase of flowers and a bird within floral scrolled bouquets with an olivewood border and further corner panels with inlaid floral sprays. The chest with two short and three long graduated drawers inlaid with twin rounded rectangular panels depicting flowers and birds The sides with arcaded central panels each depicting an exotic bird in a fruit tree. The base with a single frieze drawer with conforming decoration on turned supports and concave inlaid stretchers on bun feet. Oak and deal carcass.
Part of the Lothian Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust by Philip, 11th Marquess of Lothian (1882-1940).