This original table was made from timber from the Holnicote Estate in the 19th century. It would have been constructed in the Great Hall, and was not removed when Trerice was sold, because it was too big to get out of the house!
A very large oak table, English, circa 1840, with overhanging plank top and friezes carved with arcades, almost Gothic, standing on six bulbous ring-turned legs.
This impressive table was made for the Great Hall in situ with timber from the Holnicote estate in Somerset which the Acland familyalso owned at that time and was probably installed after restoration of the Hall by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland around circa 1840. The very fact that the table cannot be taken out of the Great Hall now means it is the only item of furniture that has always belonged to Trerice.