Oak, bog oak
72.5 cm (H); 119.5 cm (W)
Place of origin
Calke AbbeyOrder this image
Calke Abbey, Derbyshire (Accredited Museum)
One of a pair of bog oak inlaid oak pedestal centre tables, made by Thomas Marriot, Ticknall, Derbyshire in 1856. The top with re-entrant corners and a crossbanded edge inlaid to each side with the initials of Sir John Harpur Crewe 9th Bt (1824-86), with four fleur de lys panels flanking a central panel, raised on a pedestal with four concave sides and a plinth with bun feet.
The tables and various other pieces of furniture in the Calke collection were made by Thomas Marriot of Ticknall, the estate joiner, in the 1850s and 60s. They were mostly commissioned by Sir John Harpur Crewe 9th Bt (1824-86) to furnish the Saloon. Amongst the commissions were various display cabinets and tables to display an extensive collection of of shells, fossils, minerals and other curiosities together with taxidermy and other specimens. (James Weedon, March 2020)
Calke Abbey and contents transferred to the National Trust by the Treasury in lieu of CTT in 1985 with an endowment provided by the NHMF.
Marks and inscriptions
Makers and roles
Thomas Marriott, estate joiner