880 x 775 mm; 3950 mm (Length)Order this image
Little Moreton Hall, Cheshire (Accredited Museum)
On show at
The refectory table is one of three original pieces of furniture at the Hall from the 1599 inventory and was used by the master of the house and his guests and servants. People would be positioned at the table in line with their social ranking, with the head of the family seated at the top of the board on the only chair whilst the others sat on benches. This is where we get the expression 'Chairman of the Board'.
Oak refectory table, the top being original (possibly late 15th century), the frame of late 18th or 19th century date and having a round arcade with bosses below the spandrels. The top is mounted on three supports with a single stretcher running lengthways (appearing to be a later addition). The top of the frame has six pendant bosses at regular intervals carved with Ionic capitals.
Listed on 1563 inventory of William Moreton II as one of two tables in the Great Hall, and constitutes one of the three original items of furniture still at Little Moreton Hall.
Marks and inscriptions
ANGLIAE ALMAE MATRI/d.d./C.W.R.A./MCMXXXVIII. (on silver plaque attached to front frieze of table)