The Feast of Flora
Johann Georg Platzer (St Michael in Eppan 1704 - St Michael in Eppan 1761)
Oil painting on copper, The Feast of Flora by Johann Georg Platzer (St Michael in Eppan 1704 - St Michael in Eppan 1761), circa 1734. Possibly a pendant with An Allegory of Misrule in the Birmingham City Art Gallery (1971P4). Platzer originated in South Tyrol and studied at the Vienna Academy, after it re-opened in 1726, although many of the figures in this picture show the influence of the Flemish master, Rubens. He specialised in small and exquisitely painted oils on copper. This is an example of a cabinet painting, intended for more private rooms.
F. Teltscher, 17 Crawford St, London, W.1; bought by RBF on 28 March 1958; on loan from Augustine Ford, part of the collection of Sir Brinsley Ford (1908-1999)
Makers and roles
Johann Georg Platzer (St Michael in Eppan 1704 - St Michael in Eppan 1761), artist
Ford 1998 Brinsley Ford, John Ingamells, Francis Russell, John Christian, Nicholas Penny, Jennifer Montagu, Howard Coutts, Timothy Wilson & Dudley Dodd, The Ford Collection – II, Walpole Society, Vol. 60, 1998, pp. 91-376, RBF53 Garnett 2015, Oliver Garnett, At Home with Art Treasures from the Ford Collection at Basildon Park, National Trust, 2015, p. 33