Oil painting on canvas, View of San Nicolò di Castello, Venice by William Marlow (1740-1813), signed on right hand bridge side butt end: 'W Marlow'. Bridge on left leads to church with line of houses at an angle before a church and sea beyond. Large ship in distance with smaller ones in foreground and figures by houses. Crackled red, black and gold frame with husks and leaves. Pair to NT/BAS/P/7
Eden Sale, Christie's 17th December 1926; Pawsey and Payne for 200 guineas; with Knoedler 1929; Agnew's; presented by Lord and Lady Iliffe to the National Trust, together with the house and grounds of Basildon Park, and a substantial part of their collection of paintings, in 1979
Basildon Park, The Iliffe Collection (National Trust)
Marks and inscriptions
Signed on right hand bridge side butt end - 'W Marlow'
Makers and roles
William Marlow (Southwark 1740 – Twickenham 1813), artist