The Reverend E. Geldart
An oak confessional box, probably designed by the Reverend Ernest Geldart (1848-1929), English, early 20th century. Raised on an oak plinth with two detachable wooden carved angels on pinnacles. The door in the centre is in three pieces and there are two doors at the top and one at the bottom. surmounted by an arcaded crest with quatrefoil and gothic spires, Inside the confessional there are sliding partition doors and a bench.
The Chapel and some of the interior fittings were designed by George Frederick Bodley R.A. (1827-1907). Bodley was the senior partner of the firm Bodley and Garner who built the chapel between 1886-9 for the seventh Duke of Newcastle (1864-1928). The tracery priest’s and choir stalls, the rood screen, the baptism font cover and probably the confessional box were made to designs by the Rev. Ernest Geldart (1848-1929), an Anglican cleric and architect who was engaged on the final phase of work on the chapel following the quarrel and subsequent discharge of Bodley. After the Duke’s death the chapel fell into disuse and eventually closed when the Newcastle family home was demolished in 1936. The chapel reopened following the acquisition of the estate in 1946 by the National Trust.(James Weedon, October 2019)
Acquired with the estate by the National Trust in 1946 from the Trustees of the 9th Duke of Newcastle.
Makers and roles
The Reverend E. Geldart, architect and designer