Historic Services / Lighting
brass & glass
520 mm (H); 140 mm (Dia); 292 mm (W)Order this image
Castle Coole, County Fermanagh
The Argand lamp was invented and patented in 1780 by Aimé Argand. The oil was supplied by a gravity fed reservoir mounted above the burner. While the lamp provided an impressive output of 6 to 10 candlepower, the design made it top heavy and cast a shadow in one direction away from the flame. They did however become very popular across all classes because they worked with cheap vegetable based oils like colza.
An Argand oil lamp - it would have burnt oil, but it is now electrified.
Marks and inscriptions