attributed to James Shoolbred
An oak metamorphic library chair, attributed to James Shoolbred & Co. London circa 1875-1880. The chair with two quatrefoil pierced horizontal back stretchers, solid hinged seat and square section legs, converting to a set of library steps with four treads.
James Shoolbred & Co. was established in the 1820s as a draper’s shop in Tottenham Court Road, London suppling the trade. By the 1860’s Shoolbred were designing, manufacturing and selling high quality furniture and by the 1880s had expanded to such an extent that the business moved to larger premises, becoming one of the first London department stores who supplied quality furniture and accessories for the Victorian home. Shoolbred was granted a Royal Warrant in the mid-1880s and continued to trade until 1931.
Purchased by the National Trust from Bewick Antiques, Newcastle Upon Tyne for Goddards in 1895.
Marks and inscriptions
[diagrams of chair and steps] 14/15/Shoolbred 1876 (printed label under shelf)
Makers and roles
attributed to James Shoolbred, furniture manufacturer