1600 - 1650
Brass, Fruitwood, Oak
991 x 1760 x 678 mm
Place of origin
SwitzerlandOrder this image
Greys Court, Oxfordshire (Accredited Museum)
Early Swiss seventeenth century oak and fruitwood coffer on plinth. Sunken top with two panels dropped in and overall inlay decoration beneath dentil cornice. Front articulated by four thorn-shaped pilasters, central panel containing inlaid vase with flowering branches within a moulded arch, the outer two with extensive inlaid decoration. The plinth has three drawers, two short and one long. Brass handles within inlaid panels on plain sides.
Gifted to the National Trust by Sir Felix and Lady Elizabeth Brunner, along with Greys Court House and Estate, 1969.