Art / Wall paintings
Lime and gypsum plaster, canvas, paint and gilding
6.4 m (Width); 13 m (Length)
Dyffryn House and Gardens, Vale of Glamorgan
Ceiling. The ceiling is decorated with a central marouflaged canvas ceiling painting depicting a woman floating amongst the clouds with basket of flowers in her left hand and scarf in her right; she is surrounded by three putti or cherubs distributing flowers. The ceiling is delineated into three main sections by raised plain and gilded mouldings and a painted floral border of painted cartouches with motifs representing the arts and letters. Each main section of the ceiling is framed by a moulded, dentil cornice with gilt detailing. The south-west bay window ceiling is decorated with a central motif of crossed trumpets and laurel leaves. Decorative plaster ceiling consisting of painted lime plaster on lath, presumably flat oil, with a large marouflage panel to the main centre of the room. Two side alcoves are similarly painted, with the decoration all applied directly to the plaster. Floral motifs surround the borders but are slightly cruder in application, in contrast to the central piece. At the East end of the room there sits an architrave set on engaged pilasters. The West end of the room opens into the similarly dated Red drawing room. Both Blue and Red Drawing rooms should be considered contemporary, and date to the 1890’s remodeling.
Previously owned by Glamorgan County Council. Makes up part of the chattels at Dyffryn House and Gardens on loan to the National Trust as part of the lease agreement of 2012. It was agreed only moveable chattels left by the council would become the property of the National Trust.