Fixtures and fittings
alabaster, paint, gilding and brick
1430 x 1975 mmOrder this image
Dyffryn House and Gardens, Vale of Glamorgan
Fireplace. An ornately carved alabaster firesurround, decorated with strapwork and painted in reds and blues. The overmantel panel depicts a scene of a woman in classical dress holding a cornucpia (Peace). The panel is surrounded by the motto "DIEU BENIT LE COURSON DELA ZOUCHE". The overmantel is supported by hermes either side one female, one male. Over the chimney piece are painted coat of arms. The fireplace looks 17th century Italian in style. The chimney and hearth are laid with bricks arranged in a chevron design and the hearth has an alabaster surround.
This fireplace was purchased by John Cory from Scarsdale House, home of the Curzon family. John Cory purchased the Duffryn Estate in 1891 and began remodelling the original house. Many of the grander fireplaces predate 1891, being purchased from other houses, but would have been installed during this building phase. The wealth of the Cory family came from their coal mining and shipping businesses and the grandeur of the fireplaces would have boasted the origins of their wealth to guests.
Marks and inscriptions
Surrounds overmantel panel: DIEU BENIT / LE COURSON DELA ZOUCHE