Sir Charles Gould Morgan, 1st Baronet Morgan, MP (1726 - 1806)
possibly Mather Brown (Boston 1761 - Twickenham 1831)
Painting. An oil painting on canvas, half-length seated portrait of Sir Charles Gould Morgan, 1st Baronet Morgan, MP (1726 - 1806) in a powdered wig, dark brown jacket and yellow waistcoat, possibly Mather Brown (Boston 1761 – Twickenham 1831), previously attributed to William Hoare of Bath, RA (Eye 1707 – Bath 1792), 1792. He was the husband of Jane Morgan. In his left hand is a letter, addressed 'Sir Charles Morgan, Judge Advocate General, Horse Guards'. In the background, a red curtain is pulled back to reveal Horse Guards, London. Within a 19th century, water-gilded frame, with acanthus leaf and bead moulding on the site edge and tongue and leaf moulding on the back edge.
Part of the collection on loan to the National Trust from Newport Museum and Galleries. In March 2012 the National Trust took over the management of Tredegar House with its contents and its 90 acres of gardens and parkland, from Newport City Council for a period of 50 years.
Marks and inscriptions
Painted plaque on lower edge of frame : Sir Chas. Gould Morgan, Bart/Judge Advocate General/by Wm. Hoare of Bath
Makers and roles
possibly Mather Brown (Boston 1761 - Twickenham 1831), artist previously catalogued as attributed to William Hoare of Bath, RA (Eye 1707 – Bath 1792), artist