[Saved] Early 17th century turret clock. Known as a 'cockle-shell' clock because of the distinctive cockle-shell punch mark in the mechanism. Contemporary with Sir Richard Weston's house at Clandon Park (before 1641), adapted to take a pendulum c1675. Dial probably 1814; replacement bell removed from the 'Capability' Brown stables at Temple Court, which were demolished in 1972. This turret clock relates to five others, including one from Cassiobury Park now in the British Museum and the Dover Castle Clock in the Science Museum. Pendulum was salvaged after fire, 2015.
Acquisition Method: Treasury transfer in 1984 from Jo Onslow (list B. Addenda to List A no1)